Vehicle owners understand that maintenance is one of the most important ways to keep their vehicles looking good and performing optimally. Vehicle maintenance is more than servicing and replacing faulty parts; it also includes taking care of the car’s interior and exterior. Auto detailing services are geared towards improving the appearance and appeal of the car’s interior and exterior. Many people may wonder whether it is necessary to detail their vehicles, especially as it is an added cost. This article by Schmickogoes over the essential questions you may have regarding auto detailing services.
What is car detailing?
Contrary to popular opinion, car detailing is more than a car wash. While a car wash improves only the appearance and appeal of your vehicle, car detailing is so much more. Car detailing reconditions your vehicle’s interior and/or exterior, making sure that all areas are paid attention to from top to bottom.
Unlike car wash that happens every day or week, auto detailing services are spaced out but should be done a few times a year. Frequent auto detailing service is an investment that will keep your car in the best condition possible and also improve its resale value.
How is car detailing different from a car wash?
Car washing aims to get rid of the dirt and dust accumulated in your car. The process relies on the right cleaning agent and water. The entire car wash process can be done in 30 to 40 minutes, depending on how dirty the car is, how skilled the washer is, and the type of vehicle. On the other hand, auto detailing offers so much more. While car washing is on the superficial level, car detailing goes deeper, making sure that all areas of the vehicle’s interior and exterior are paid attention to.
Car detailing focuses on the many components in your car, reconditions them and protects them from further harm. In human terms, car washing can be compared to the regular quick showers, while auto detailing can be likened to a spa day complete with pore cleansing, massages, scrubs, and peels, etc.
What are the steps of auto detailing?
Auto detailing, as the name implies, is a really detailed process. It starts with a car wash to get rid of the dirt and stains on your car then proceeds to the smaller details. Below are some of what the car detailing process entails.
- Exterior car detailing
- Dirt and dust removal using specialized cleaning agents and foams.
- Wheel scrub, including lug nuts and brake calipers using a brush and specialized cleaning products.
- Vehicle surface wash washing mitts and microfiber towels.
- Removing deeply-embedded dirt from the car’s clear coat using an automotive clay bar.
- Machine or hand-polishing of car paint. This also includes scratch, oxidation, and swirl removal.
- Window and rubber surfaces cleaning.
- Application of synthetic or carnauba-based protective wax for a shiny appearance.
- Adding finishing touches to vehicle trims.
- Interior car detailing
- Vacuuming vehicle upholstery and carpets to remove dirt, dust, and debris.
- Deep-cleaning carpets and upholstery with shampoo to remove stains.
- Removal of deeply-embedded dirt and conditioning of leather surfaces.
- Cleaning and detailing of plastic and vinyl surfaces.
- Cleaning and polishing of interior glass.
- Engine detailing
- Cleaning the engine bay by spraying lightly with water.
- Application of degreasers to exposed engine components.
- Rinsing the engine bay with light water spray.
- Cleaning and drying of vinyl, plastic, silicone, or rubber surfaces.
How much does auto detailing cost?
Car detailing can take several hours depending on how dirty the vehicle is. The cost of the entire process is more than what it costs to wash your car. Many factors can affect the cost of detailing your car, including the car detailing company and their prices, the average cost of car detailing in your location, etc.
A basic car wash can cost anywhere between $20 and $70; however, an auto detailing service can cost anywhere between $50 and $150. The overall cost of the service will be what your auto detailing service provider quotes.
Why should you get your car detailed?
If you consider whether to get your car detailed or not, you should know the associated advantages. Below are some of the perks of detailing your car.
- Improve its appearance and appeal – Vehicle detailing boosts your pride in your car and increases its appeal.
- Maintain a car’s value – Car detailing keeps your car in the best possible condition to improve its resale value.
Don’t miss the details – Some parts of your car are not easily accessible, and this means you may skip them during general cleaning. Car detailing ensures that those areas are attended to.